Friday, February 25, 2011

A Date

I am in love. I am in awe that my husband loves me. Do you know we have been together for 17 years? 17 years, gee that is along time.

I have to say that when I first met Derek I called him a loser and worthless employee. See, Derek and I worked at the same company and before he came along the warehouse managers were drunk, left work out the front door because the Dallas police drove down the ally. Basically not good employees.

In comes Derek and works for two days and then does not come to work because he was "sick". My reaction was rather tainted. I think it went something like, "Gee Mark, can you not hire a good employee with responsibility. This loser has only been at work for two days. "  ***Disclaimer, he was sick, the flu had taken out his entire family.

After a week or so Derek came back to work and oh my gosh, he was cute.  Not just cute, but cute as in "Tracy I want that." Tracy my childhood friend worked there as well.

Derek got me and got me good. I bought him banana Popsicle's, looked at his backside when he walked away, still do by the way, and feel head over heels in love.

After spending some weeks together, he took me on our first date. February 25, 1994.

I wore a skirt and beige top with a blue sweeter vest. Derek wore a jeans and a dark purple shirt. When he came to pick me up he brought me a teddy bear and a rose. Still have the bear. He also said he mom was out of town because his PaPa was sick and could I iron his shirt before the movie.

Did I iron a man's shirt on the first date? Heck yea, I had seem that chest before and I was not passing the chance up again.

Our first movie, 8 Seconds. Where the lady was shocked that Lane Frost died at the end. Stupid lady just came to see the movie because Dylan McKay was in it, 90210 fans are just dumb.

We went to eat at Jason's Deli and then back to my place for some neckin and some kissin.

Two weeks later Derek would ask me to marry him and I would say yes. I just may be a tart.

I have been so in love that it is hard to wrap my head around the number 17 and next month when we celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary I will still be in awe.

I love you Derek. ILTSOOY

Why would two people be engaged after just two months of knowing each other? Derek can sum it up very well... When two people have this much in common you can not just pass by.


For my love,

He said I'll love you 'til I die
She told him you'll forget in time
As the years went slowly by
She still preyed upon his mind

He kept her picture on his wall
Went half crazy now and then
He still loved her through it all
Hoping she'd come back again

Kept some letters by his bed
Dated 1962
He had underlined in red
Every single I love you

I went to see him just today
Oh but I didn't see no tears
All dressed up to go away
First time I'd seen him smile in years

(Chorus)

He stopped loving her today
They placed a wreath upon his door
And soon they'll carry him away
He stopped loving her today

(Spoken)
You know she came to see him one last time
Oh and we all wondered if she would
And it kept running through my mind
This time he's over her for good

2 comments:

  1. So so cute! =) Here's to another 17 years and more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWE Sara....the kind of love you two share inspires me and is so sweet :) It keeps my hope alive that my love is out there somewhere! What a sweet, sweet post today!

    ReplyDelete