Wednesday, March 19, 2014

20 Years

This was us 20 years ago today! March 19, 1994. We had been engaged for 7 days. A little over three weeks from our first date. I have to say I giggled when I saw this, we don't even look like ourselves.

Boy, has life beaten us down.

March 19, 1994

20 years of life, honestly it has not beaten us down, it has, however made us fall in love, laugh, cry, yell and whatever verb you want to toss in there. 

Over the past years we have made a billion and one decisions that I think affect how we look today. 

There has been the arguments, arguments about moving, buying stuff, parents, siblings, kids, money, the weather, snow, ice, vacations, work. On and on they went and continue still and will continue.

There as been the praying, praying on what to do, where to go. Prayer over all the arguments we have had. 

There has been the feeling of being pregnant and then knowing something is wrong and waiting to see how our little boy will be. Having your child taken from you in the surgery room and the loneliness it felt like, the waiting for surgery to be over, rejoicing that this little kidney thing is just something that made our little guy special. Watching him grow and grow and grow and then watching as he drives away on his own. Conor's next step is to make choices about his future and still I wake a night wondering if I have screwed him up. I wake thinking how great he is and I pray his life is great. 

The worry and the joy every parent has makes us look like we do today.

In 20 years we have moved three times, two really big ones. One was happy and great and we have never doubted that it was the right, God directed thing for us to do. But the move for 10 months to Louisiana, that one was hard. Hard on all three of us. It had to be done, we had to see and to pray and to know what is best for us. 

The depression, yes I think I was depressed, that came from that move. The friends that were made, the new adventures we had all that was fun and great and hard. It made us who we are today. 

In 20 years we have had so much fun, we are each others best friend. We are the first ones we tell secrets too, we gossip, we discuss things threw the day. We text and call and just are friends. 

All in all the good has been so much more than the bad. I cannot wait for another 20 years. 

I end each day thankful, that no matter what, I have a spirit led husband who values God first and me second. That even when I have my emotional break down he is going to hold me and say everything is fine. He is the one, I cherish.

As Derek said, even before he asked for my hand, "you can't just let someone who have this much in common with just pass by." 

He is my hero! 

 March 17, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment