Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lunch

Mr. 13 called yesterday and stated he was bored. I tried to find him a movie partner, but alas, home he stayed. We went home at lunch to eat with him and decided we could get in a game of cards.

The three of us gathered around the table with our lunch and played 31. In 31 you are dealt three cards and you must get 31 in total or something close to that. Should you be low man then you pay a penny. After you lose three pennies you are on welfare. Hopefully you can continue on while on welfare, when you are low man again you are out.

I stayed in, with my three pennies, till I needed to clean up. I let Conor, who was out, play in my spot. Within three turns he had lost my coins. Boy, boy, boy!

We had such fun we came home today and did the same thing. Today I did not fare as well, I knocked on 16 and then on 20 and won. The next hand I had 10. I think we will do this again tomorrow.

Instructions for 31
  • One deck of cards
  • tokens ( 3) *
  • Deal 3 cards to each player
  • Put rest of deck in middle and turn one card up
  • Player must advance to 31 ( same suit) adding cards together, when it is your turn you may take a card off the deck or off the discard pile.
  • Player must keep 3 cards in hand at all times.
  • Should the player think they have the highest total they can knock** when it is their turn
  • Once a player knocks the rest of the group has one chance to improve their hand
  • Everyone lays down and shares their total, lowest pays a token.

2-10 are face value
J,K and Q are 10 points
A is 11

**3 tokens can be pennies, dimes, candy, poker chips whatever you prefer to use. When the lowest pays a token you can continue to play until all three tokens are collected in the middle and you are on welfare. Players can continue to play on welfare until they are the lowest again. Then you are out.
Play continues with remaining players.
Last player wins.

***When it is your turn and you think you have the highest total, you may knock without drawing a card. The remaining players have one chance to improve their hand.

Should you draw cards that add to 31 you simply lay down you cards and then everyone at the table must pay a token.

Enjoy a card game.

No comments:

Post a Comment