Tuesday, September 8, 2009

10 Years ago....


The phone rang early that morning and I knew what it was. Get up, get dressed and take Conor to Lisa's and begin the day.

Even today I miss my Granddaddy. He was a great person. He built my brother and I this tall, cool fort, Brad had the top "room" and mine was the bottom. He took us fishing and we learned how to bait trot lines. He and my Grandmother let me name their dog Susie even though he was a boy dog. He made the fruit salad at Thanksgiving and found really big Christmas trees.

He loved trains, he built this train track that had mountians. It took up an entire part of the room. He had two and three trains running at one time, with people, building and cars. And even though it does not run any more and some things are missing, Conor and Lanham love to go up stairs and see the trains.

They would let us come over on Saturday nights and we would go to Bonanza and then to the grocery store and then back to their house to watch Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk. My Grandmother would fix popcorn and my Granddaddy would put his in a glass with buttermilk, now why I do not adhere to that thinking... tea with grape juice in it Rocks!!!

I miss him, but I know that he his in heaven waiting for us to get there.

Have I mentioned that I had a great Granddad?

2 comments:

  1. We are so blessed to have wonderful memories of our grandparents and those who have gone on before us. But you're right...they are in a wonderful place waiting on us to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats so sweet
    how funny though, I used to do the same with my grandparents only we ate at Pizza Inn. Loved that Hee Haw!

    ReplyDelete