Friday, June 4, 2010

Are you smart?

I find myself some days, strolling the Internet and at times surprised where I end up. Today after reading an article in the Baxter Bulletin about students from Flippin going to the National Quiz Bowl and a link to where the quiz questions come from.


Here are a few from the April Quiz and let me just say, I am not that smart. Ok I am smart just not super smart. I will finish the last statement up after you answer a few of the following questions.



Who was on the first U.S. postage stamp honoring a woman?



What is the title of this slice of American life from Norman Rockwell?

What 8-word phrase describes this familiar symbol?

Thomas Chambers painted an American frigate and a British warship in battle. The American ship won the battle. What are the names of both the vessels you see?

This work of art was lost in the collapse of the World Trade Center. Name the American sculptor who created it.

Martha Washington

After the Prom

Great Seal of the United States of America

U.S.S. Constitution, H.M.S. Guerriere

Alexander Calder



Did you get any of the answers? Did you know just a little bit? If you answered yes to the last question you are like me, know enough to have a conversation.


I knew that Norman Rockwell painted that picture, his are distinctive but don't ask the title. The Seal of the US, really would not have said it was an 8 word phrase. The two ships, I learned something new, as for Martha Washington, did not know she was the first woman on a stamp.


I also knew that great art was lost on 9-11, name and who made it, learned that today as well.


Maybe instead of stalking blogs that convince me to take a picture a day for the entire year or make lists of things I want, I just use the Internet to learn more about the past, future and present.


What have you learned today?


No comments:

Post a Comment